Thursday 28 November 2013

Comfort Food - Banana Jam Roly Poly.

What am I making with these ingredients

While making dumplings for our casserole the other day, I saw the recipe for a Roly Poly. Roly Poly's weren't a childhood staple for me but it made me want to try and make one. What about the filling though, we have lovely Strawberry jam in our fridge that could do but we love bananas here, and I had seen on one of the websites I frequently visit Banana Jam. 

Banana Jam
400g of banana (skins on, roughly 4 smallish bananas not the tiny ones)
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon of Light Muscavado Sugar
1 cup of water (can add more if you want a thinner consistency)
2 teaspoons of Cinnamon (less if you aren't a cinnamon fan)
Pinch of Salt



Cut the bananas up and let them simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.


The more you mush the banana's the thicker the jam will be, I like a smoother jam but left a few chunks as others like chunky jam.


I made the suet up to the recipe on the back for dumplings. I made a slightly bigger batch, so 60g of suet, 120g of flour ( I had plain flour so added a teaspoon of baking powder)


Roll out your suet pastry, & add a layer of your jam the pastry. The right hand edge was left clear as that was used to stick the roly poly together.

Ready to go in the oven.


I baked the Roly Poly at 170 for 30 minutes and made custard using our normal milk (Koko) and birds custard powder. It was a hit here with all of us going back for seconds. There was enough banana jam for jam on toast for breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment